3.21.2012

nomadic pal num. 5 : hynd lalam

FINALLY! Sorry for the wait. 
OLB.



QUICKLY

I AM: Hynd, 21. HOME: Paris, France
I'M CURRENTLY: studying Comparative Literature with a minor in Latin and interning for The Beckett Letters
I DIG: Shakespeare, fine cuisine and Patrick
DESTINATION:
le sultanat d’Oman
WHAT: relaxation and some well overdue family time
WHY: a last, desperate attempt to flee the horrors of the French winter
WHEN:
December 2011
WEATHER:
wonderfully mild
TRIP TUNES:
lots of Corinne Bailey Rae, Bob Marley and the inevitable Adele
TRIP THREADS:
long flowy dresses and headscarves to visit the Mosques
TRIP READS:
The Help by Kathryn Stockett and Jane Austen’s Sense & Sensibility.
CAN'T FORGET EVEN IF I TRIED: my mother bargaining like a straight up thug for the most beautiful necklace I have ever laid eyes on.
NEXT STOP:
lots of European capitals are booked on my calendar for now, but I’d love to see New Zealand someday.

BEST

RELAXATION SPOT: endless dips in the Gulf of Oman followed by unsuccessful tan-sessions on the hotel’s hammocks.
MEAL: the Omani cuisine is very close to what I know as Indian so lots of biryani rice and deliciously spicy sauces. Their coffee is by far the strongest and most sour I have ever tasted. Ironically, I also came to taste divine pasta in Oman.
DRINK: none alcoholic please, (Muslim country) – but delicious fresh squeezed juices as well as the usual bubbly-sugar-filled refreshments
ADVENTURE: running through the desert dunes of Rimal Wahiba, with my (ill-treated) bare feet
SLEEP/LACK OF SLEEP:
one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen – Al Bustan Palace, built by the Sultan himself. Highly recommended.



No comments: